Saturday, May 23, 2009

Strawberry Ice Cream

I have an aversion to cooked strawberries. They get globby and stringy. But S loves them and really wanted to make strawberry ice cream, so when our local grocery story started selling them for $1.49/lb, I decided to do it. But my way.

To avoid any globbiness or seediness (I hate seeds in my ice cream; I prefer it smooth), I macerated chopped strawberries in sugar and just a dash of lemon juice (seriously a tiny dash is all. When I made peach ice cream and put in the 2 tbsp required, the ice cream turned out tart. Ew.), then pureed them and ran the puree through a fine strainer. And even I admit the results are delicious.

2 cups cream
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tps vanilla
1 lb strawberries, hulled and quartered
dash of freshly squeezed lemon juice

Add 1/3 cup sugar and the lemon juice to the chopped strawberries. Stir and let sit for 2 hours. Puree in a food processor or blender, strain through a fine strainer and set aside.

Scald cream. Meanwhile whisk egg yolks and remaining 2/3 cup sugar together in a bowl. Temper the eggs with the scalded cream, then move mixture back to the heat, adding remaining milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to thicken. Be careful not to overcook it, or you'll end up with chunky custard. Strain mixture into a bowl, then mix in strawberry puree and vanilla. Chill. Churn. Enjoy.

No comments: